Today I am sharing a photo of a lion security blanket I made last year for my little cousin Matthew’s 2nd birthday but never got around to posting.
I used Vanna’s Choice yarn to crochet this little guy. He is a combination of my own amigurumi Lion design (the head, ears, and mane) and Lion Brand’s Circles to Squares pattern available for free on Ravelry. I recommend this pattern if you are interested in designing your own security blanket and want some guidance to get you started. Here are the steps I took:
- Crochet the amigurumi head of your choice.
- Decrease until there are 12 stitches remaining at the bottom of the head.
- Increase in each of the 12 stitches (24 stitches).
- Double crochet 24 stitches.
- Continue to crochet beginning at R3 of the Circles to Squares Square 1 pattern. (This pattern is worked in rounds that are joined, but I disregarded this and worked in continuous spirals).
- Continue the square until it reaches the size you want for your security blanket.
- Finish off with a scalloped edge: *double crochet 5 stitches in one stitch, skip one stitch, slip stitch in next stitch, skip one stitch* Repeat all the way around the blanket.
- Use the same pattern you used for the head to crochet arms if you wish and sew these to the blanket portion just a few rows below the head.
- Stuff the head and stitch the 12 stitch opening closed to secure the stuffing.
Don’t forget to embroider the eyes rather than using safety eyes if you’re making a security blanket for a baby.